Monday, January 14, 2013

Thinking Differently

I have come to a point in my walk with Christ where I need to challenge my thinking. I used to limit myself to what devotionals I read, to certain preachers, even to specific worship music, as well as how to pray. Over the last few months, I have begun to challenge myself to pursue spiritual food from other sources and allow the Holy Spirit to filter truth from man-made truth.

My husband and I have been attending a new church since October. We visited there last Spring, but wound up becoming too lazy to go to church. We knew early last year God was going to send us elsewhere for a more deeper teaching of Himself; however, we allowed ourselves to get comfortable where we were. I found myself missing some fundamental things - fellowship, women's prayer, study and fellowship (the kind where you can share and not be judged, yet know the women around you understand and pray), but most of all - teaching which promotes deeper thought and the pursuit of God. Where we go now has met all of these cravings, and even more!

I have discovered some really great teachers, and while I still have trouble accepting some of the teachings, I allow the Holy Spirit to filter everything I hear. The more I open my mind and my heart to different biblical perspectives and chew on them, letting the Holy Spirit burn away the chaff, the more I notice God's grace and the change He is doing in me. I am also less likely to judge another because Scripture is so much more alive to me, and my hope is to bring grace to them instead of pointing fingers at their sin, condemning them to hell because they aren't saved.

I have never believed it's my duty to tell others they are going to hell if they don't pray a prayer and "get saved", I believe it's my duty to share the love and grace of Christ, and to allow the Holy Spirit to work through me in showing others their need for Christ. Make no mistake, I am not denying the existence of hell, nor am I down-playing it, but this world has heard so much about sinners going to hell and not enough about Christ's love and grace for the sinner. I work with people who have always been condemned, and it's difficult for them to accept Jesus as a loving, living person, when they've only had hell shoved down their throats. Do I agree with their lifestyle?  No, and they know this, but they also know I am not condemning them for it. I have made it my purpose to show love and extend grace when all they've known is condemnation and ridicule.

I am grateful for this year of deeper contemplation of God and for the teachers I have chosen to help me walk this path. I am grateful for grace and truth, and for learning just how important my thought life is to my spiritual life. I've listed some teachings I have found interesting enough to ponder on.

The Father's House - Identity Theft
The Father's House - Step Into Life
New Testament November 25 - I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment